Malta Public Transport is very passionate about its people. We want to assist employees who excel to grow within the organisation. We are willing to train people who have a passion for their job and who have the appetite to develop. Our aim is to empower our employees.
For anyone who is looking for an interesting and challenging role, this may be your chance to join a growing organisation whose aim is to take the Maltese Public Transport to new heights.
We are offering employment opportunities to people with experience in the industry or who have a valid European Category D Licence. For those who have a valid D Licence, but are not up to the required standard, we will provide the necessary training accordingly.
The vacancies available are for Bus Drivers, who would be responsible for the following:
- Transporting passengers along scheduled routes around Malta
- Following precise schedules and adjusting their driving according to traffic and weather conditions in order to arrive at each stop at the designated time
- Ensuring the safety of the passengers and third parties by avoiding accidents
- Maintaining orderliness a mong passengers
- Keeping the bus in a safe, working condition
- Ensuring that passengers swipe their bus card
- Keeping records of commute times and reporting mechanical issues, delays or other dilemmas
- Collecting fares and guiding passengers in their travels as required
The requirements for the job are:
- A valid European Category D Licence and CPC (Certificate of Professional Comp tence)
- A basic level of spoken English plus the knowledge of driving specific terms (direction, passengers information, driving position)
- Over 21 years of age
- Submit to a criminal background check and pass a medical examination
- Applicants may be required to receive extra training in certain areas
- They may work early morning, late evening and weekend shifts on a roster basis
The applicants would have to follow a thorough recruitment process which would include an interview (which will be conducted in English), a basic numerical test (to prove that the candidates can provide the correct monetary change as required and can understand their scheduled duties), a medical and a bus ass essment. The first part of the interview will be done via Skyp e while the second part, that includes a medical and a drive test, will be done in one day in Malta. Following the successful completion of both parts of the recruitment process, the company will offer the successful candidates a c ontract that will be explained and has to be signed the day after the tests.
Kindly note that the applicant will be requested to provide the following documents:
- ID Card/Passport
- 3 Passport Photos
- Police Conduct (current – no more than 3 months validity)
- D Licence
- CPC Certificate
The items listed above are all required to ensure that if the candidates are chosen, all documents required by the governing authorities are in hand i mmediately to ensure a fast track process.
During the first interview, the candidate will be required to give a possible start date in Malta.
Terms & Conditions
The chosen candidates will be offered the following:
- A permanent (including six m onths’ probation) A 40 or 48 or 56 hour working week (at the discretion of the employee)
- An hourly gross salary depending on Category D Licence issue date as follows:
|Category D licence issued||
|Between 0 – 6 months||
|Between 6-12 months||
|Betwenn 12-24 months||
|Between 24-36 months||
|Between 36-48 months||
|More than 48 months||
– Overtime can also be worked at a higher rate once the employee works 48 hours per week
- Employees may be eligible for a €600 bonus dependent on performance.
- Public holidays are paid at a d ouble rate.
- Night shifts are paid at a rate o f at least €5 per shift.
- A maximum of €150 will be reimbursed by the company towards the flight ticket at the end of the successful completion of 1 year employment.
- Annual Leave entitlement of :
- 24 days for those working a 40 hour week
- 28.8 days for those working a 48 hour week
- Sick Leave entitlement of 12 days on full pay. This is applicable after 6 months of em ployment
- Other leave entitlements:
- Injury Leave
- Maternity Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Special Leave (depending on the nature of request as well as the company’s approval)
The chosen applicant will also be en titled to a list of benefits as follows:
- Health Insurance
- Free public transport for employee and immediate family (wife/partner and child/children)
Assistance for expatriates
The company will give assistance with all logistics in relation to obtaining required documents for the Maltese tax system, residence card social security and any other related requirements.
For up to the first three months upon arrival to Malta, the Company has found accommodation for those candidates who wish to avail of it. This will be in the form of shared apartment and will cost the employee €7.50 per night for the first 2 weeks and then €10 per night for the remaining period. Plesae note this accommodation is not available for relatives or friends but just for the employees.
Taxation & Social Security Contrib utions
The national Insurance (SCC) required for each employee in Malta falling under the salary mentioned above is of 10% whilst there is 15% taxation on gross salary with the first €9,100 being non-taxable.
Basic Information about Malta
Malta is a Southern European island country comprising an archipelago of a few islands in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea. The country covers just over 316 km2, with a population of around 416,000. The capital of Malta is Valletta, which at 0.8 km2, is the smallest national capital in the European Union. Malta has two official languages: Maltese and English.
Malta is a popular tourist destinatio n with its warm climate, numerous recreational areas, and architectural and historical monuments, including nin e UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Malta’s climate is typical of the Mediterranean and is strongly influenced by the sea. The Maltese Islands have a pleasantly sunny climate with a daily average of around 12 hours sunshine in summer going down to 5 to 6 hours in mid-winter.Annual rainfall is low, averaging 568mm a year. Bathing in the sea is quite possible well into the ‘winter’ months, and the peak beach season can last until mid- to late October.
For more information about Malta, please visit the following website: http://www.visitmalta.com/en
Please send a covering email in English and your CV in English as well as a scanned copy of your D Licence and your
CPC to email@example.com. Please quote the vacancy title and number in your email.
Vacancy reference number: 327239